depth: part two

So once we have our list of terms and derivations, the next stage is to convert them into visual ideas. Mainly, as this is a creative project then all the elements need to be presented in a graphic form. What I tend to do is to develop via sketching. Saying this though, there is a disparity in what can look good in a sketch and what can look good in a final design. This understanding can come with a great deal of experience in how things look in rough and complete form. I tend to so all my logo designs via illustrator, and so when sketching I tend to keep simple lines and blocking that I note will be colour or shape.

Anyway, what happens depending on the list of words, is I try putting down any idea that pops into my head based on the initial visual I see. This can usually populate an entire A3 sheet of small thumbnails. Like the one I added above. Another thing that is hard to describe, as a necessary part of the process, is the need to have gestation time. For example, I have tree in my head, so what I ted to do is think tree, think elements of trees, think variations of trees and metaphors of trees. However, at the same time i could be thinking about books, or simple shapes. This is one reason that sketching is effective, because you can't assume all ideas associated with my tree train of thought will come out sequentially. Sometimes I even have a piece of paper and a pencil on the table and I play some load music and pace up and down the room. This may seem like a bit of time wasting, but thinking is a constructive process as much as drawing. This actually reminds me of two anecdotes I heard. One of a design studio in London, who built their entire offices around a basketball court. Telling their employs to take a break when they couldn't think and have some gestation time. The other story was of Peter Gabriel. He, whilst recording the "So" album, would stop recording when it wasn't going right and took his crew out to play croquet.

You will find a practice that will work for you, but never think that thinking is wasting time. Also, depending on the client, you will find communication on this sketching level either easy or hard to get ideas across. Recently I did a series of sketches through another artist and that was over 20 sheets of concepts all in rough. However, due to the nature of most clients, they tend not to be able to visualize things in the same way as an artist and therefore want to see final work. What you should avoid doing is doing your development work all on computer. One big reason for this is because sketching is quicker, and working on computer takes longer. What I tend to do is once I have populated three or four sheets I pick the most likely to develop as semi-possible concepts. This is the next stage and will be the next post. But to finish, the point of creative thinking and sketching is to not see one path. This is where the process of visuals then proliferates on the list. Tree as a list definition can only have one meaning, but visually you can draw that word in so many ways, so many styles. So this is the reasoning to go through the depths of graphic interpretation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 design tips for more clickable banner ads

Ramzan Special Desi fried rice

25 Gorgeous Paper Flowers For Kids (Craft Ideas)